The family of Adeel Ahmed, who passed away at a resort, has expressed their opposition to an autopsy being performed.
Speaking to RaajjeMV, Adeel’s mother Naajidha Hassan said that after RaajjeMV published their report, the Maldives Police Service (MPS) had informed that they are investigating Adeel’s death case. She added that on Friday, they were told that it was decided to conduct an autopsy to determine the cause of his death.
Naajidha said that they were informed the body would be taken to India on September 2 for the autopsy, and it would be returned to the Maldives and handed over to the family on September 7.
However, she stated that the police made this decision without any consultation with the family, and that they do not want an autopsy performed. Adeel’s mother said they do not want to cause any further harm to Adeel’s body and that they wish to proceed with the burial and complete all funeral rites.
Highlighting that justice has not been served in cases of violence or deaths in this country so far, Naajidha said she does not expect justice for Adeel.
Naajidha has denied claims suggesting that her son died by suicide.
More than a week after Adeel’s death, the family has expressed concern that the body has not been handed over to them and is being kept in the morgue, and that no information about the investigation has been shared.
Regarding the case, the police stated on Saturday that a report was filed on August 23, about the death of a 21-year-old Maldivian man at a resort in Baa atoll. They added that an autopsy was decided due to certain aspects that need to be examined in the case.
Further investigations are currently underway in connection with the case.