The Football Association of Maldives (FAM) has revealed that Maldives national team is to camp in Qatar where they will train for the 2018 SAFF Championship
Speaking at a press conference held on Sunday, FAM’s Secretary General Hussain Jawaz said that changes had to be brought to the training following issues at the national stadium. As such, they found Qatar to be the most fitting spot to conduct the training.
Jawaz said thay expect to depart to Qatar on August 6, and will travel straight to the commencement of the championship in Bangladesh without returning to Maldives.
The national team will not play any friendly matches prior to the championship.
Dhiraagu Premier League matches have also been stalled due to damages incurred to the grass in Galolhu stadium.
The grass of the national stadium was damaged during the Independence Day celebrations on the night of 28th July.
The national team, which was announced on Monday with 30 players, has already begun their practices at the FAM’s turf grounds.
While there are two groups in the competition, Maldives is in Group B along with Sri Lanka and seven-time SAFF winners India. Group A consists of Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan and Pakistan.
The 2018 SAFF Championship is set to begin on the 04th of September with the finals scheduled for the 15th of September.
This year's squad is as follows:
- From Maziya Sports and Recreation – Hussain Shareef (goalkeeper), Mohamed Mujuthaaz, Moosa Yameen, Ali Samooh (defender), Mohamed Irfan (midfielder), Asadhullah Abdulla, Hassan Naiz, Ahmed Imaz (forward)
- From New Radiant Sports Club – Mohamed Faisal (goalkeeper), Akram Abdul Ghanee (defender), Mohamed Umair, Riham Abdul Ghanee, Hamza Mohamed (midfielder), Ali Fasir (forward)
- From Club Eagles – Mifdhadh Mohamed (goalkeeper), Hussain Shifau Moosa, Ahmed Nooman (defender), Mohamed Arif (midfielder), Mohamed Naeem, Hussain Raaif Ahmed (forward)
- From TC Sports Club – Mohamed Samir (defender), Azzaam Abdulla, Ibrahim Hassan Waheed, Mohamed Azzaam (midfielder), Ibrahim Mahudhee Hussain (forward)
- From Club Green Street – Mohamed Saaif, Mohamed Samdhooh (defender), Abdulla Yameen (midfielder)
- From Victory Sports Club – Hussain Nihan (midfielder)
- From United Victory – Hassan Tholal (goalkeeper).