An additional arrest has been made in connection to the attack on three foreigners in capital city Malé’s suburban extension Hulhumalé earlier this month.
Speaking to media, Maldives Police Service (MPS) revealed that arrested on Thursday was a 22-year-old Maldivian man.
Initially, authorities made six arrests following the attack, three male foreigners -two Chinese and one Australian- were attacked in Hulhumalé a little past 8pm on 4 February.
All arrested are Maldivians and suspected extremists.
Home Minister Imran Abdulla revealed that said group of extremists have “more up their sleeves” and aims to carry out more attacks on foreigners. They were however, unable to carry out their plans due to the country’s enhanced security forces.
Authorities earlier revealed that the attack was carried out by suspected extremists after a video showing a group of masked men taking responsibility for the attack, went viral on social media. The men in the video made additional threats against tourists.
Following this, police began investigating the validity of the video, and further noted that the status of the victims is being monitored closely.
Shedding light on the attack on a Turkish tourist during December, police stated that they are investigating whether the attack is linked to the recent attack in any way.
Police assured the public that the perpetrators will be brought to justice.
All three victims were released from the hospital after treatment for minor injuries. They were stabbed by two men wearing helmets, said police.