Raajje.mv
Raajje.mv
  • ރާއްޖެ
  • ދުނިޔެ
  • ކުޅިވަރު
  • ވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދު
  • ސިއްހަތު
  • ރިޕޯޓު
  • ފިލްމް - މިޔުޒިކް
  • ތަފާތު ޚަބަރު
  • އިސްލާމް
  • ލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
localNovel Coronavirus

Task force formed to monitor coronavirus risk, to issue travel advisory "if required"

29 ޖެނުއަރީ 2020 | ބުދަ 09:37

Novel Coronavirus was first detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province of China in December 2019

އައިޝަތު ޝާނީ
Aishath Shaany | 29 ޖެނުއަރީ 2020 | ބުދަ 09:37
Tourism Minister Ali Waheed and Health Minister Abdulla Ameen

Tourism Minister Ali Waheed and Health Minister Abdulla Ameen

Maldives will issue a travel advisory, “if required”, says Tourism Minister Ali Waheed.

Waheed made the comment at a press conference held at the president’s office, together with Health Minister Abdulla Ameen, on Tuesday night. The conference was held to provide details of the preventive measures put in place against the Novel Coronavirus, a highly infectious bronchitis virus which is to have emerged in a province in China.

While a number of tourists travel to Maldives from China, this has left the public tense with some calling to halt flights from the southeastern nation. Over 260,000 tourists arrived from China in 2019.

Responding to the criticism, Minister Waheed assured that the government has no intention of hiding any facts about the disease, adding that it is prepared for the chance that it is found in the country.

Noting that this government prioritizes the people, he said that “a travel advisory will be issued, if required.”

However, Waheed said that there is no purpose of issuing one yet and called to the public to take all preventative measures.

He further said that this work will be done under President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih’s direction, who discussed the issue with the cabinet ministers earlier on Tuesday. The president formed a special task force following the news of the outbreak, which is actively involved in their duties and coordinating with all other relevant stakeholders.

The tourism minister also highlighted this task force at the press conference, adding that it was formed with the interests of those in the tourism ministry. He highlighted that over 2,000 bookings have been cancelled following the virus outbreak, adding that these are mostly Chinese tourists.

Speaking at the press conference the health minister stressed the rapid outbreak of the disease, and noted that Maldives is yet to see a suspected case of the infectious virus.

Minister Ameen said the health infrastructure has been prepared "to co-ordinate a response to the possible detection of the disease," and added that thermal cameras have been deployed at airport entry points across the country and that frontline staff have been prepared to address any issue that may arise.

Furthermore, Ameen said that they have taken measures to designate quarantine and treatment facilities and that additional facilities have been established in Funadhoo Island.

He also assured that the administration will "keep the public informed with the latest updates at all times".

Popular

1

Reporting USD Rate Above or Below MVR 15.42 Prohibited; Black Market Reports Face MVR 500,000 Fine

2

Red Crescent celebrates 17 years by constructing its future in high-rise concrete

3

Cabinet decides to restrict accessibility of SIM cards for expatriates working in Maldives

4

Charting a reckless course into middle eastern war zones

5

State appeals release of suspect accused of smuggling drugs into Maafushi Prison via drone!

More from Raajje.mv

17 އެޕްރީލު 2017

High Court to start enforcement proceedings for Hilton damages

17 އެޕްރީލު 2017
High Court to start enforcement proceedings for Hilton damages
08 އެޕްރީލު 2017

President Yameen accustomed to using force: Ibu

08 އެޕްރީލު 2017
President Yameen accustomed to using force: Ibu
03 އެޕްރީލު 2017

MCS forced to reinstate privileges to MP Mahloof

03 އެޕްރީލު 2017
MCS forced to reinstate privileges to MP Mahloof
29 މާރިޗު 2017

Failure to summon Nasheed forces hearing cancellation

29 މާރިޗު 2017
Failure to summon Nasheed forces hearing cancellation
27 މާރިޗު 2017

Low student turnout forces school closure extension

27 މާރިޗު 2017
Low student turnout forces school closure extension
15 މާރިޗު 2017

Doctors forced to deliver H1N1 patient's 5-month-old fetus

15 މާރިޗު 2017
Doctors forced to deliver H1N1 patient's 5-month-old fetus
26 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

Parliament to debate on issue of forced membership to PPM

26 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
Parliament to debate on issue of forced membership to PPM
23 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

Forced membership to PPM issue sent to EC

23 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
Forced membership to PPM issue sent to EC
15 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

Forced membership issue submitted to Labor Relations, Elections

15 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
Forced membership issue submitted to Labor Relations, Elections
08 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

Criticism will not force me to let go of my principles: President

08 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
Criticism will not force me to let go of my principles: President
ރާއްޖެދުނިޔެކުޅިވަރުވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދުސިއްހަތުރިޕޯޓުފިލްމް - މިޔުޒިކްތަފާތު ޚަބަރުއިސްލާމްލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
RaajjeMV
RaajjeTV
Raajje Sport
RaajjeTV Live
RaajjeTV PR
RaajjeMV
Raajje.mv

Copyright © 2010-2025 Raajje Television Pvt Ltd.

All rights reserved

ޕްރައިވެސީ ޕޮލިސީކިޔުންތެރިންގެ ހިޔާލުޓާމްސް އޮފްޔޫސް