Maldives' national team for the 2018 SAFF Championship has been announced, with the country's most famous football star- Ashfaq Ali- notably missing from the squad.
The 2018 SAFF Championship will start on September 4 and the finale will be held on the 15th of the month.
The Football Association of Maldives (FAM) has revealed the names of the 30 payers on this year's squad, most from Maziya Sports Club. The team will be trained by Petar Segrt, a Croatian-born German coach.
This year's squad includes:
- From Maziya Sports and Recreation – Hussain Shareef (goalkeeper), Mohamed Mujuthaaz, Moosa Yameen, Ali Samooh (defender), Mohamed Irfan (midfielder), Asadhullah Abdulla, Hassan Naiz, Ahmed Imaz (forward)
- From New Radiant Sports Club – Mohamed Faisal (goalkeeper), Akram Abdul Ghanee (defender), Mohamed Umair, Riham Abdul Ghanee, Hamza Mohamed (midfielder), Ali Fasir (forward)
- From Club Eagles – Mifdhadh Mohamed (goalkeeper), Hussain Shifau Moosa, Ahmed Nooman (defender), Mohamed Arif (midfielder), Mohamed Naeem, Hussain Raaif Ahmed (forward)
- From TC Sports Club – Mohamed Samir (defender), Azzaam Abdulla, Ibrahim Hassan Waheed, Mohamed Azzaam (midfielder), Ibrahim Mahudhee Hussain (forward)
- From Club Green Street – Mohamed Saaif, Mohamed Samdhooh (defender), Abdulla Yameen (midfielder)
- From Victory Sports Club – Hussain Nihan (midfielder)
- From United Victory – Hassan Tholal (goalkeeper).
This year's SAFF Championship will be hosted by 2003 winners, Bangladesh.
While there are two groups in the competition, Maldives is in Group B along with Sri Lanka and seven times SAFF winners India. Group A consist of Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan and Pakistan.