Raajje.mv
Raajje.mv
  • ރާއްޖެ
  • ދުނިޔެ
  • ކުޅިވަރު
  • ވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދު
  • ސިއްހަތު
  • ރިޕޯޓު
  • ފިލްމް - މިޔުޒިކް
  • ތަފާތު ޚަބަރު
  • އިސްލާމް
  • ލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
local
Diving Incident

Chilling footage emerges showing underwater cave where five tourists tragically lost their lives!

The bodies of five Italian tourists have been discovered at a depth of 160 feet following a diving accident at Vaavu Atoll’s "Shark Cave," prompting a high-risk recovery operation supported by international experts. A Maldivian military diver also lost his life during the search efforts, while preliminary findings reveal the tourists had descended well beyond authorized depth limits. Investigations are currently underway to determine if the tragedy was caused by adverse weather conditions or the decision to attempt a dangerous deep-sea dive without adequate equipment.

Raajje.mv | 19 މެއި 2026 | އަންގާރަ 11:23
Your browser does not support the video tag.
0:00 / 0:00

A diver operates in the darkness to recover the bodies of the deceased.

As video footage emerges from the site of the tragic incident where five tourists lost their lives inside the "Shark Cave" in Vaavu Atoll, new theories have begun to surface regarding the underlying cause of the disaster.

Following an intensive search operation conducted by Finnish experts, the bodies of four individuals were recovered from a depth of 160 feet on Monday, following an incident that claimed the lives of five Italian divers. The deceased have been identified as Monica Montefalcone, an Associate Professor of Ecology at the University of Genoa, and her daughter, Giorgia Somacal, along with marine biologist Federico Gualtieri and researcher Muriel Odenino.

The group was discovered inside the third cave, popularly known as "Shark Cave." The body of Gianluca Benedetti, who was with the group, was recovered on the day they went missing.

The body of Gianluca, the fifth victim of the incident, was discovered near the entrance of the cave on Thursday.

Haunting footage captured inside the third cave, famously known as "Shark Cave," has now been released to the public.

Located approximately 60 miles from Malé, this underwater cave spans 60 meters in length and is divided into three distinct sections.

A chilling video that has gone viral shows a diver navigating through the narrow, winding passages within the cave.

No signs of life were visible inside the cave, with only a single stingray seen frequenting the area.

Various theories are currently circulating regarding the incident that occurred during a dive into this treacherous cave, located at a depth of 160 feet.

One of the contributing factors was the adverse weather conditions prevailing in the atoll during the period of the trip.

A day before the incident occurred, a yellow weather alert had been issued for the region, with forecasts predicting wind speeds of up to 30 miles per hour.

Monica's husband, Carlo Somacal, told the newspaper "La Repubblica" that his wife is not someone who would ever act recklessly or jeopardize the life of her own child or anyone else.

"Something has happened down there," Carlo said.

It has now been confirmed that Monica and Muriel undertook the trip for research purposes.

Carlo described his wife as one of the world's finest divers. He added that she would never have taken such a risk had she been aware of any weather warnings.

He stated that if a weather alert had been issued, it is possible the group had set out on their dive before the warning was released.

Mark Randazza, an American deep-sea diving expert with 30 years of experience, stated on X that "these divers were effectively dead the moment they entered the water. Attempting to descend to 150 feet with standard equipment and without a specialized gas mix is essentially a death sentence."

He added that regardless of whether they were afraid, there was no possibility of return, and that the dive plan would inevitably result in the deaths of everyone involved.

According to the Italian Foreign Ministry, Maldivian authorities recovered one body on Thursday, while the remaining four victims were located by a team of Finnish experts, including Sami Paakkarinen, Jenni Westerlund, and Patrik Grönqvist.

The Maldivian government spokesperson told the BBC that additional dives will be conducted in the coming days to recover the bodies.

He further noted that specialized equipment required for the operation is being provided by the United Kingdom and Australia, including underwater scooters and rebreather gas tanks.

Each dive conducted to recover the bodies takes approximately three hours; however, the operation is immediately suspended if any obstacles are encountered.

Experts discovered the bodies in the deepest section of the cave.

However, the most challenging phase of the operation—retrieving the bodies and bringing them to shore—is currently underway.

Authorities hope to recover two of the bodies on Tuesday and the remaining two on Wednesday.

DAN Europe, the diving safety organization overseeing the operation, announced that the mission's primary objective has been achieved following a technical cave dive conducted in the southern waters of Vaavu Atoll.

The organization stated that the task is technically and psychologically demanding, as well as highly complex from an operational perspective.

The source added that the upcoming days will involve highly delicate stages of the recovery process.

Assembled by Dan in just 48 hours, the European team has explored the underwater caves located near Alimathaa in Vaavu Atoll.

Experienced cave divers since 2004, Pakkarinen and Gronqvist gained international recognition for their roles in recovering the divers involved in the 2014 Plura incident in Norway.

With the capability to dive to depths of 500 feet, this Finnish team provides a significant boost to the efforts to locate the missing tourists.

However, this remains an exceptionally hazardous undertaking.

A Maldivian military diver passed away on Saturday while taking part in the recovery efforts. This brings the total death toll from the incident to six.

Staff Sergeant Mohamed Mahdy passed away due to decompression sickness, a condition caused by nitrogen bubbles forming in the bloodstream after ascending to the surface too rapidly.

The Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs is continuing its investigation into the exact cause of death of five Italian divers.

At the time the five individuals went missing, there were 20 additional tourists aboard the "Duke of York" safari vessel.

Following the harrowing ordeal, the group has now returned to Italy.

However, it has now been revealed that the safari vessel "Duke of York" was not authorized to conduct dives at depths exceeding 100 feet.

The Italian team was spotted at a depth of 160 feet, which constitutes a violation of regulations.

Shafraz Naeem, a veteran former MNDF diver, stated that diving at such extreme depths is a feat that can only be accomplished by the most experienced professionals in the field.

"I have dived at the Alimatha caves at least 50 times, always using proper safety measures and equipment," he said.

He further stated that while every dive is a unique experience, he is well aware of the significant risks involved. He emphasized that experience and safety are paramount when diving in such environments, noting that he always utilizes proper gas mixtures and backup systems.

Shark CaveItalyMonica MontefalconDuke of YorkDecompression IllnessScuba DivingDivingItaly-Maldives

Comments

Related Articles

It has been a year since "Code of Conduct" formulated by Fuvahmulah divers was submitted to government, yet it remains unpublished in gazette: Nasheed

It has been a year since "Code of Conduct" formulated by Fuvahmulah divers was submitted to government, yet it remains unpublished in gazette: Nasheed

18 މެއި 2026
Three expert Finnish divers arrive in Maldives to assist in search for missing Italian divers

Three expert Finnish divers arrive in Maldives to assist in search for missing Italian divers

17 މެއި 2026
Final words of Italian professor who died in diving accident revealed

Final words of Italian professor who died in diving accident revealed

16 މެއި 2026
Funeral prayers for Staff Sergeant Mahudhee held at Islamic Centre

Funeral prayers for Staff Sergeant Mahudhee held at Islamic Centre

16 މެއި 2026
Italian prosecutors launch investigation into deaths of Italian divers in Maldives

Italian prosecutors launch investigation into deaths of Italian divers in Maldives

16 މެއި 2026

On This Day

May 20
Discussions held on enhancing Yunnan-Maldives collaboration in economy, trade
20242 Years Ago
local

Discussions held on enhancing Yunnan-Maldives collaboration in economy, trade

Three arrested in separate drug operations
20233 Years Ago
local

Three arrested in separate drug operations

Foreign Minister sends National Day greetings to Cameroon
20224 Years Ago
local

Foreign Minister sends National Day greetings to Cameroon

Maldives reports a record 2,194 new Covid-19 infections as active cases cross 20,000-mark
20215 Years Ago
local

Maldives reports a record 2,194 new Covid-19 infections as active cases cross 20,000-mark

Missing Maldivian pilgrim found safe
20197 Years Ago
local

Missing Maldivian pilgrim found safe

Election Commission’s statement is legally invalid: Nasheed
20188 Years Ago
local

Election Commission’s statement is legally invalid: Nasheed

ރާއްޖެކުޅިވަރުދުނިޔެވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދުރިޕޯޓުފޮޓޯވާހަކަސިއްހަތުތަފާތު ޚަބަރުލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
RaajjeMV
RaajjeTV
Raajje Sport
RaajjeTV Live
RaajjeTV PR
RaajjeMV
Raajje.mv

Copyright © 2010-2025 Raajje Television Pvt Ltd.

All rights reserved

ޕްރައިވެސީ ޕޮލިސީކިޔުންތެރިންގެ ހިޔާލު