Raajje.mv
Raajje.mv
  • ރާއްޖެ
  • ދުނިޔެ
  • ކުޅިވަރު
  • ވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދު
  • ސިއްހަތު
  • ރިޕޯޓު
  • ފިލްމް - މިޔުޒިކް
  • ތަފާތު ޚަބަރު
  • އިސްލާމް
  • ލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
localCalls to harm the president

Maldives police arrests man who called to set president on fire

6 ސެޕްޓެމްބަރު 2020 | އާދީއްތަ 10:14

The 47-year-old man said this during a phone call on opposition-affiliated Channel 13

އައިޝަތު ޝާނީ
Aishath Shaany | 6 ސެޕްޓެމްބަރު 2020 | އާދީއްތަ 10:14
The 47-year-old man said this during a phone call on opposition-affiliated Channel 13

The 47-year-old man said this during a phone call on opposition-affiliated Channel 13 | RaajjeMV

A man who called to “set fire to the president” via a phone call on live television, has been arrested.

While the incident took place this past week, police has confirmed that the 47-year-old was arrested from Vilufushi island in Thaa atoll.

In addition to the Maldives Police Service, Maldives Broadcasting Commission (Broadcom) is investigating the matter.

The phone call took place during a live programme on opposition-affiliated television station, Channel 13.

During the call, the opposition supporter said that he believes that incumbent President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih should “be set of fire.”

Channel 13 has since issued an apology to the general public, saying that a participant of its “Rayyithunge Adu” programme telecast at 1pm Thursday, had spoken on his belief and that the channel had immediately disconnected the live phone as soon as he said this.

Noting that they “do not encourage violence and hatred among the society,” Channel 13 further claimed that they will not allow anyone to act unlawfully.

This incident comes amid numerous calls and warning to the stations by Broadcom, over continued broadcasting violations.

During the administration of the now incarcerated ex-president Abdulla Yameen, several action had been taken against privately-run television RaajjeTV, including multiple fines amounting to MVR 3.7 million, under the Anti-Defamation and Freedom of Speech Act introduced in 2016. Some of the actions, including a MVR two million fine, was imposed over statements made by third parties or guests.

Popular

1

Vice President’s Official Residence Costs Over MVR 300,000 Monthly

2

Puppet master and his absolute yes-men

3

Great savior complex over a faith already shielded by supreme law

4

Parliament accepts bill to end tax exemptions for unregistered businesses in Maldives

5

President's Office denies rumors of importing bread from Singapore for Mulee'aage

More from Raajje.mv

16 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Maldives launches a campaign to support Syrian refugees

16 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Maldives launches a campaign to support Syrian refugees
14 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Raajje TV cameraman Adam Zareer’s sentencing scheduled for 16th January, Monday!

14 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Raajje TV cameraman Adam Zareer’s sentencing scheduled for 16th January, Monday!
13 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Police had no legal grounds to question the ex-President: Maumoon Hameed

13 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Police had no legal grounds to question the ex-President: Maumoon Hameed
13 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Ex-President tells police to question those who committed the crime

13 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Ex-President tells police to question those who committed the crime
11 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Police "still investigating" sudden death of married couple

11 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Police "still investigating" sudden death of married couple
11 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Yumna summoned to the police HQ

11 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Yumna summoned to the police HQ
10 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Condition of man injured in helicopter accident "improving"

10 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Condition of man injured in helicopter accident "improving"
10 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Will be financially beneficial for the institution: Head of Police Welfare Company

10 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Will be financially beneficial for the institution: Head of Police Welfare Company
07 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Police recover cash stolen from a resort room

07 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Police recover cash stolen from a resort room
06 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Court rules not enough evidence to prove man forged signature on finance ministry check to get MVR 900,000

06 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Court rules not enough evidence to prove man forged signature on  finance ministry check to get MVR 900,000
ރާއްޖެދުނިޔެކުޅިވަރުވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދުސިއްހަތުރިޕޯޓުފިލްމް - މިޔުޒިކްތަފާތު ޚަބަރުއިސްލާމްލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
RaajjeMV
RaajjeTV
Raajje Sport
RaajjeTV Live
RaajjeTV PR
RaajjeMV
Raajje.mv

Copyright © 2010-2025 Raajje Television Pvt Ltd.

All rights reserved

ޕްރައިވެސީ ޕޮލިސީކިޔުންތެރިންގެ ހިޔާލުޓާމްސް އޮފްޔޫސް