Raajje.mv
Raajje.mv
  • ރާއްޖެ
  • ދުނިޔެ
  • ކުޅިވަރު
  • ވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދު
  • ސިއްހަތު
  • ރިޕޯޓު
  • ފިލްމް - މިޔުޒިކް
  • ތަފާތު ޚަބަރު
  • އިސްލާމް
  • ލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
localSafari assault case

Safari sexual assault case investigation nearly complete

3 ސެޕްޓެމްބަރު 2020 | ބުރާސްފަތި 10:01

A Kenyan woman was sexually assaulted on a safari boat In late June

އައިޝަތު ޝާނީ
Aishath Shaany | 3 ސެޕްޓެމްބަރު 2020 | ބުރާސްފަތި 10:01
Police officers summoned to a meeting of the parliament’s human rights and gender committee, regarding the safari case

Police officers summoned to a meeting of the parliament’s human rights and gender committee, regarding the safari case

Police are nearly done with the investigation into the sexual assault case onboard a safari in late June.

A 27-year-old Kenyan woman was allegedly “groped” by two men while aboard a safari boat, which resulted in her deciding to jump overboard over fear of situation escalating.

The case was filed on June 26.

Police, on Thursday, told RaajjeMV that the investigation is nearly complete and that their aim is to send the case for prosecution “as soon as possible.”

There was a lot of controversy over this particular case from the beginning, with two online outlets publishing contradictory stories.

The first one, Mendhuru Online, claimed that the victim was raped while an article published on ‘Mihaaru’ denied that the situation had reached that far. Both publications claimed to have spoken to the victim.

Police have since confirmed that this is not a rape case, but a sexual assault case, and are investigating Mendhuru Online as well. The publication said that the information was provided by former Attorney General Azima Shakoor, whodeniesthis claim.

Two men were arrested over the case the same day, after patrol officers intervened after noticing a scene at the Hulhumale’ jetty. The men, both 39, were arrested based on the information provided by the victim.

While they are to have been intoxicated, police have said that they were not tested for alcohol consumption as this was not reported as an issue to the responding officers.

Police’s actions in the case, specifically the decision to not conduct alcohol tests and the subsequent release of the suspects, had been subject to immense criticism. There are also accusations of political influence, within the institution, given that reports indicate the suspects have links to powerful figures.

Responding to the accusations directed at the institution over the expedited release of the suspects, Chief Superintendent Mohamed Rasheed during a press conference on July 1, stated that the police’s responsibility is to prove criminal action.

As such, he said that the institution will continue to gather evidence and investigate the case, even if suspects are released.

Police had previously revealed that 11 people’s testimonies had been obtained in the investigation.

On July 23, Pauline Nduta Gichuru appointed Riza and Co. as her legal counsel to represent and assist her in all matters connected to the case.

Popular

1

Vice President’s Official Residence Costs Over MVR 300,000 Monthly

2

Puppet master and his absolute yes-men

3

Great savior complex over a faith already shielded by supreme law

4

Parliament accepts bill to end tax exemptions for unregistered businesses in Maldives

5

President's Office denies rumors of importing bread from Singapore for Mulee'aage

More from Raajje.mv

07 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

MNDF's lack of investigation into Himmafushi bullet is concerning: Ex-Commissioner

07 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
MNDF's lack of investigation into Himmafushi bullet is concerning: Ex-Commissioner
06 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

ACC reports 15 percent increase in filed cases

06 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
ACC reports 15 percent increase in filed cases
02 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

Court to reach a verdict in Fiyaz's case by the end of Feb

02 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
Court to reach a verdict in Fiyaz's case by the end of Feb
01 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

Court to take witness statements in Fiyaz's case on Thursday

01 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
Court to take witness statements in Fiyaz's case on Thursday
30 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

High Court rejects MDP case against EC

30 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
High Court rejects MDP case against EC
24 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

State delays MDP case against EC

24 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
State delays MDP case against EC
23 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Work Is Underway To Complete Procedural Formalities Of Ex-President Nasheed’s Case Over President Yameen’s Detention: PG

23 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Work Is Underway To Complete Procedural Formalities Of Ex-President Nasheed’s Case Over President Yameen’s Detention: PG
12 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

ACC launches investigation into MPL's payment to a law firm

12 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
ACC launches investigation into MPL's payment to a law firm
10 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Hearing for Wisam's case cancelled, rescheduled to January 18

10 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Hearing for Wisam's case cancelled, rescheduled to January 18
09 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Hearing for Wisam's case cancelled, rescheduled to January 18

09 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Hearing for Wisam's case cancelled, rescheduled  to January 18
ރާއްޖެދުނިޔެކުޅިވަރުވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދުސިއްހަތުރިޕޯޓުފިލްމް - މިޔުޒިކްތަފާތު ޚަބަރުއިސްލާމްލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
RaajjeMV
RaajjeTV
Raajje Sport
RaajjeTV Live
RaajjeTV PR
RaajjeMV
Raajje.mv

Copyright © 2010-2025 Raajje Television Pvt Ltd.

All rights reserved

ޕްރައިވެސީ ޕޮލިސީކިޔުންތެރިންގެ ހިޔާލުޓާމްސް އޮފްޔޫސް