K. Male'
08 Jun 2024 | Sat 19:42
IGMH Hospital
IGMH Hospital
18yo electrocuted in Ungoofaaru
18yo electrocuted in R. Ungoofaaru, dies
Reported to have been seriously injured was Hussain Atheek, 18
He attained serious internal injuries
Atheek was brought to the capital for further treatment on May 25

The youth who was electrocuted while trying to save two children who got electrocuted in Ungoofaaru island of Raa atoll, has passed away.

Three children got electrocuted in in the incident, reports from Ungoofaaru island on 23 May 2024.

Injured after getting electrocuted while playing in a puddle on the streets were a 12-year-old boy and a little girl.

Reported to have been seriously injured was Hussain Atheek, 18. He was unconscious even when he was rushed to the Ungoofaaru Regional Hospital.

Speaking to RaajjeMV, a media official at IGMH revealed he was in critical condition and was on ventilator support when he passed away.

Atheek was brought to the capital Malé City for further treatment on 25 May 2024.

He died from serious internal injuries, at around 10:30am on Saturday.

The island’s council member Niha Hussain earlier revealed that the children were rushed to the Ungoofaaru Regional Hospital for treatment after being electrocuted while playing on the streets.

The remaining two children were also treated at the hospital and were later discharged.

The 18-year-old who had attempted to save them, was being treated on ventilator support at the Ungoofaaru Regional Hospital ICU before being brought to the capital for further treatment.

According to tests conducted at Ungoofaaru Regional Hospital, Atheek had attained injuries to his kidney, following which dialysis was carried out.

Sources report that the water puddle was charged by a street light pole.

After this case came into the spotlight, FENAKA Corporation had conducted investigations.

Speaking to RaajjeMV, FENAKA Ungoofaaru Branch Manager Ahmed Saeed revealed that they were probing the case jointly with the Maldives Police Service (MPS) and the island’s council.

Saeed revealed that the network was under the supervision of the island council and that they had been maintaining the technical matters linked to it. Further, FENAKA has been extending assistance upon requests by the council as well.

Saeed went on to reveal that the matter was under investigation, with the involvement of an expert.

He also said that it was an old network and the network was damaged when the roads were constructed.

Last updated at: 1 month ago
Reviewed by: Maryam Dhaanish Nasheed
- comment