Raajje.mv
Raajje.mv
  • ރާއްޖެ
  • ދުނިޔެ
  • ކުޅިވަރު
  • ވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދު
  • ސިއްހަތު
  • ރިޕޯޓު
  • ފިލްމް - މިޔުޒިކް
  • ތަފާތު ޚަބަރު
  • އިސްލާމް
  • ލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
localGasim Hassan

Taxi driver’s murder case: Wednesday's hearing cancelled

25 ނޮވެމްބަރު 2020 | ބުދަ 07:33

Gasim’s body was discovered lying face-down in a puddle of blood on the road in Hulhumalé on 4 December 2019

އައިޝަތު ޝާނީ
Aishath Shaany | 25 ނޮވެމްބަރު 2020 | ބުދަ 07:33
File photo: The suspect, Adham Mohamed, being presented to a court hearing

File photo: The suspect, Adham Mohamed, being presented to a court hearing

Wednesday’s hearing in Gasim Hassan’s murder case has been cancelled.

Criminal Court said that the hearing was cancelled as the presiding Judge Ismail Rasheed was feeling unwell.

Adham Mohamed, 21, is charged with first-degree murder in Gasim’s death, under the Act on Prohibiting ‎Threatening and Possession of Dangerous Weapons and Sharp ‎Objects.

The last hearing in the case was held on October 11, where Adham was given more time to appoint a defence lawyer.

The suspect had sought to appoint his own attorney, after expressing discontent with the one appointed by the state.

While Adham was given more time to appoint a lawyer during a previous hearing, he had failed to do so by October 11. He had noted difficulties in appointing a lawyer, due to being kept on what he described as "a pigeon hole”.

The suspect had previously confessed to the murder. While the presiding judge had, during a hearing held in February, repeatedly asked whether there was any coercion to his decision, Adham had said that he made the confession on his own free will.

Following his confession, the initial sentence of 25 years was reduced to a 17-year and six-month prison sentence, and a fast-track hearing was scheduled.

However, he has since denied the charges against him and claimed that he was coerced into a confession. He further claimed that he was not of sound mind when the confessions were made.

Adham was arrested on 19 December 2019, days after Gasim’s body was discovered lying face-down in a puddle of blood on the road in Hulhumalé on 4 December.

Police earlier confirmed that the suspect has a long criminal history including theft and cases related to drugs.

Prosecutor General Hussain Shameem had previously assured that there is enough evidence to convict him even if he retracts his confession, adding that doing so will only make things worse for the suspect.

Popular

1

Vice President’s Official Residence Costs Over MVR 300,000 Monthly

2

US Warns Maldives Over Circumventing Tariffs on Chinese Goods

3

MNDF: Friend 4 Lies More Than 1,600m Deep, Beyond Military Submarine Reach

4

Rebranding the obvious as Pres. Muizzu plays religion card

5

Black Market USD Rate Set to Worsen Under New Resort Currency Rule: Ameer

More from Raajje.mv

08 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

Leevaan, Wisam case filed for appeal in High Court

08 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
Leevaan, Wisam case filed for appeal in High Court
07 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

Court to hear Sheikh Imran's appeal case on Wednesday

07 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
Court to hear Sheikh Imran's appeal case on Wednesday
06 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

ACC reports 15 percent increase in filed cases

06 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
ACC reports 15 percent increase in filed cases
02 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

Court to reach a verdict in Fiyaz's case by the end of Feb

02 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
Court to reach a verdict in Fiyaz's case by the end of Feb
01 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

Court to take witness statements in Fiyaz's case on Thursday

01 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
Court to take witness statements in Fiyaz's case on Thursday
30 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

High Court rejects MDP case against EC

30 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
High Court rejects MDP case against EC
24 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

State delays MDP case against EC

24 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
State delays MDP case against EC
23 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Work Is Underway To Complete Procedural Formalities Of Ex-President Nasheed’s Case Over President Yameen’s Detention: PG

23 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Work Is Underway To Complete Procedural Formalities Of Ex-President Nasheed’s Case Over President Yameen’s Detention: PG
10 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Hearing for Wisam's case cancelled, rescheduled to January 18

10 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Hearing for Wisam's case cancelled, rescheduled to January 18
09 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Hearing for Wisam's case cancelled, rescheduled to January 18

09 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Hearing for Wisam's case cancelled, rescheduled  to January 18
ރާއްޖެދުނިޔެކުޅިވަރުވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދުސިއްހަތުރިޕޯޓުފިލްމް - މިޔުޒިކްތަފާތު ޚަބަރުއިސްލާމްލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
RaajjeMV
RaajjeTV
Raajje Sport
RaajjeTV Live
RaajjeTV PR
RaajjeMV
Raajje.mv

Copyright © 2010-2025 Raajje Television Pvt Ltd.

All rights reserved

ޕްރައިވެސީ ޕޮލިސީކިޔުންތެރިންގެ ހިޔާލުޓާމްސް އޮފްޔޫސް