Raajje.mv
Raajje.mv
  • ރާއްޖެ
  • ދުނިޔެ
  • ކުޅިވަރު
  • ވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދު
  • ސިއްހަތު
  • ރިޕޯޓު
  • ފިލްމް - މިޔުޒިކް
  • ތަފާތު ޚަބަރު
  • އިސްލާމް
  • ލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
local
MP Abdulla Sinan

MP Sinan’s terror trial: Court ignores all points at preliminary hearing

Sinan was charged over his alleged involvement in the controversial Supreme Court ruling on February 1

ހުމާމް އަލީ
Humaam Ali, Raajje.mv | 2 އޯގަސްޓު 2018 | ބުރާސްފަތި 02:38
South Mahchangolhi Constituency MP Abdulla Sinan

South Mahchangolhi Constituency MP Abdulla Sinan

The court has refused to accept all 12 points made by South Mahchangolhi Constituency MP Abdulla Sinan at his preliminary hearing regarding the terrorism-related charges against him.

Sinan was charged over his alleged involvement in the controversial Supreme Court ruling on February 1 which ordered the release of political prisoners and reinstatement of opposition MPs.

At the preliminary hearing on Wednesday, Sinan’s attorney Nooruh Salam Abubakur said that while the charges indicate that the February 1 ruling was unlawful, the Supreme Court’s latest ruling on the matter did not nullify the one on February 1. Therefore, dragging the issue into court means doubting a judge’s verdict, which is illegal.

In response, the state prosecutor said that their case is not to confirm the legitimacy of the Supreme Court ruling, and that the court is also proceeding with other cases regarding the alleged ill intent of Chief Justice Abdulla Saeed and Justice Ali Hameed before they issued the ruling. The prosecutor noted that the case is to prosecute all those who were behind the ruling.

The defense noted that the proper procedure was not followed before sending the case for prosecution. Attorney Nooruh Salam also said that the charges do not fit into the anti-terrorism laws and so Sinan should have been charged under the penal code. He also noted that the prosecution did not specify the date and time on which Sinan had committed the crime.

The state prosecutor said that proper procedure was followed and that Sinan had been committing the crime from 2017 onwards.

It was also noted that the prosecution form did not have a signature from the prosecutor general, which is required. The prosecutor said that a circular was sent to all the courts indicating that the case has the prosecutor general’s approval, and that this procedure is now permitted by the upper courts.

The defense also requested that one of a secret testimony not be taken from one of the state’s witnesses, since the witness was involved in a case of MP Faris Maumoon in which he, in a police investigation, claimed that Faris had offered him a bribe, but then swore in court that Faris did not in fact offer him any bribe. Due to this reason, his testimony is not important, said the defense, adding that the witness is to be used to confirm whether Sinan had accepted bribes, which is unrelated to terrorism.

In response, the prosecutor said that the defense should not be able to know the identity of their secret witness and therefore will not respond to any points made by the defense in which they specify a particular person as their secret witness. He also said that Sinan had accepted bribes to commit a terrorist act.

The defense requested that the audio and video evidence be made available to them, to which the prosecution said that all the relevant case documents have been handed over to them. However, the prosecution said that they will be unable to provide information on the secret witnesses but that the defense will be able to question them.

After the back and forth, presiding judge Ahmed Hailam refused all 12 points put forth by the defense for similar reasons given by the prosecution.

The judge also refused to ease Sinan’s stay in prison for the rest of his trial.

Comments

Like & Win

Giveaway
Powered by: Radient Heat Waters
Kent Grand Plus

Kent Grand Plus

Tap

Related Articles

Court issues preliminary injunction halting Kaadehdhoo Airport agreement cancellation

Court issues preliminary injunction halting Kaadehdhoo Airport agreement cancellation

01 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
Court to take witness statements in Fiyaz's case on Thursday

Court to take witness statements in Fiyaz's case on Thursday

01 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
Foreign bodies have no jurisdiction over Court rulings: President

Foreign bodies have no jurisdiction over Court rulings: President

31 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
High Court rejects MDP case against EC

High Court rejects MDP case against EC

30 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Court to analyze video evidence against Wisam on Tuesday

Court to analyze video evidence against Wisam on Tuesday

30 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

On This Day

February 17
BML launches dollar ATM service in Addu
20251 Year Ago
business

BML launches dollar ATM service in Addu

Gov't will facilitate a favorable environment for scout activities in schools: VP
20242 Years Ago
local

Gov't will facilitate a favorable environment for scout activities in schools: VP

Agreement on visa-free travel to China takes effect
20233 Years Ago
local

Agreement on visa-free travel to China takes effect

V. Aarah case: Yameen requests to delay hearings until they can be livestreamed
20224 Years Ago
local

V. Aarah case: Yameen requests to delay hearings until they can be livestreamed

BML announces growing support for their Islamic Banking services
20215 Years Ago
business

BML announces growing support for their Islamic Banking services

Ex-President Yameen detained in Maafushi Prison
20197 Years Ago
local

Ex-President Yameen detained in Maafushi Prison

Journalist Hussain departs to SL for further treatment, despite police\'s attempt to block him from flying
20188 Years Ago
local

Journalist Hussain departs to SL for further treatment, despite police\'s attempt to block him from flying

ރާއްޖެކުޅިވަރުދުނިޔެވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދުރިޕޯޓުފޮޓޯވާހަކަސިއްހަތުތަފާތު ޚަބަރުލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
RaajjeMV
RaajjeTV
Raajje Sport
RaajjeTV Live
RaajjeTV PR
RaajjeMV
Raajje.mv

Copyright © 2010-2025 Raajje Television Pvt Ltd.

All rights reserved

ޕްރައިވެސީ ޕޮލިސީކިޔުންތެރިންގެ ހިޔާލު