The Bar Council of the Maldives has disclosed that 68 percent has of the examinees who sat the inaugural Bar Exam, passed the Exam.
The Bar Council states all the examinees who passed Bar Exam 2022 (BE2022), were all first-time test takers.
Bar Exam 2022 is the first Bar licensing exam to be administered in the history of the Maldivian legal profession.
The Bar Council of the Maldives congratulated the examinees for their high performance, and the top scorers for their excellent achievements.
The Maldivian Bar Council notes that the average mark attained by examinees was 66 percent.
The Council also notes that eighteen examinees made it to the Top Achievers List. As such, there is a three-way tie for the First Place Scorer of the BE2022 between Mr. Mohamed Arzan Asif, Mr. Hussain Zameel, and Mr. Ishag Hussain.
Additionally, the highest performing cohort of the examinees represent a significant percentage of graduates from the Maldives National University (7 graduates), followed by University of London (6 graduates) and Villa College (4 graduates).
The Top Achievers of Bar Exam 2022 are;
- Mohamed Arzan Asif - University of London
- Hussain Zameel - University of London
- Ishag Hussain - Maldives National University
- Aishath Nadha Mahir - Villa College
- Aiman Mohamed - University of the West of England (Villa College)
- Umar Mamdooh Mohamed Mahir - University of London
- Nabeeh Ibrahim - University of the West of England (Villa College)
- Saadhin Mohamed Rasheed - University of London
- Aminath Nasooha - Maldives National University
- Sama Saeed - International Islamic University Malaysia
- Aishath Ashiya Shathir - University of the West of England (Villa College)
- Ahmed Thaail - Maldives National University
- Shafa Ibrahim - University of London
- Aishath Nazaha Nasheed - University of London
- Eama Binth Moosa - Maldives National University
- Ahmed Jadeer - Maldives National University
- Afa Ali Rasheed - Maldives National University
- Ahmed Husham - Maldives National Universit
The Bar Council states that the Top Achievers will be honored by the Bar Council at the Bar Admissions Ceremony to follow the first licensing Exam.
The Bar Admissions Ceremony is scheduled to be held on 20 February 2023.
Furthermore, the Bar Council states that they look forward to welcoming the exemplary cohort to the Bar as the first batch of lawyers to be licensed in the Maldives following a Bar Exam.
The Council highlights that they are grateful for the strong partnerships with the USAID, ABAROLI, NCBE, Kaplan, who played an integral role in ensuring that the Exam met international testing and quality standards. They also noted that members of the Maldivian legal profession and the judiciary also contributed immensely to the Exam development process through providing their expertise as practicing lawyers, judges, and legal academics.
As such, the Bar Council highlights that senior and young lawyers alike provided their valuable support to the standard setting panel, the process of item writing, reviewing, preparing practice materials, organizing and delivering lectures.
The Bar Council congratulated every member, for their invaluable contribution towards the development and implementation of the Maldives’ first Bar Exam.