Raajje.mv
Raajje.mv
  • ރާއްޖެ
  • ދުނިޔެ
  • ކުޅިވަރު
  • ވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދު
  • ސިއްހަތު
  • ރިޕޯޓު
  • ފިލްމް - މިޔުޒިކް
  • ތަފާތު ޚަބަރު
  • އިސްލާމް
  • ލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
local
Attack on Foreigners

Attack on Australian, Chinese men "an act of revenge" against counter-terrorism efforts: police

The three foreigners were stabbed on 4th February in the capital’s suburb, Hulhumalé, by "an extremist cell in the Malé region"

އައިޝަތު ޝާނީ
Aishath Shaany, Raajje.mv | 30 އެޕްރީލު 2020 | ބުރާސްފަތި 00:51
A counter-terrorism operation was launched in Maduvvari island in late November

A counter-terrorism operation was launched in Maduvvari island in late November

Maldives Police Service has said that the stabbing of foreigners in the capital’s suburb, Hulhumalé, was “an act of revenge” by individuals with extremist ideologies in the Maldives.

Assistance Commissioner of Police, Mohamed Riyaz revealed this at a press conference held on Wednesday night, emphasizing that investigations prove that this was a “revenge attack” on the efforts against counter-terrorism operations.

He stressed that this was particularly aimed at the operations held in Maduvvari island of Raa atoll in late 2019. The operation was carried out together with gender ministry, and was prompted by the surfacing of a case of a 13-year-old child bride in November. While the 13-year-old had given birth shortly after, the story only broke after her rapist was violently attacked by his crew-mates on a sea-cucumber fishing boat over an ideological disagreement.

The three foreigners -one Australian and two Chinese; a tourist and worker- were stabbed on 4th February, and a video where a group of men -with their faces covered- are taking responsibility for the attack, was shared online; these men claim to be affiliated with the terrorist group, Islamic State.

Noting that an investigation was launched immediately, the assistant police commissioner said that they were able to locate crime scenes and investigate how the attacked unfolded through witness testimonies from the victims as well as those that took them to the hospital. He further noted that over 300 hours of CCTV footage from 75 locations had been analyzed in the investigation.

Eight people were arrested in connection to the attack; seven on February 13 and one on March 2, from Thimarafushi island in Thaa atoll.

Further noting that four people had been “actively” involved in the attack, ACP Riyaz said that the motorcycles used in the attack were located adding that the registration boards had been switched. Both were seized in the operation, and Riyaz said that electronic devices seized during search operations of their houses further implicated them. Police also found those assigned to dispose the weapon (a knife) as well as their clothes.

Stressing that the attack on the foreigners was to send a message to the police by an extremist cell active in the Malé region, the assistant police commissioner said that this was done to force them to stop their operations against terrorism.

Further, ACP Riyaz said that the case was forwarded for prosecution on April 19.

The Maduvvari operation was part of the efforts to combat extremism and terrorism, recruitment of people for such causes, and to create awareness in the minds of residents as well as to protect women and children who have been deprived of fundamental rights stated in the constitution.

Comments

Like & Win

Giveaway
Powered by: Radient Heat Waters
Kent Grand Plus

Kent Grand Plus

Tap

Related Articles

Govt has to respect UN decisions as a member nation: Maumoon faction

Govt has to respect UN decisions as a member nation: Maumoon faction

28 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
200 candidates for LCE primaries: PPM Yameen faction

200 candidates for LCE primaries: PPM Yameen faction

25 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Foreigner found hanging in an apartment in Male’

Foreigner found hanging in an apartment in Male’

25 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Verdict announcement on Raajje TV journalists scheduled for Tuesday

Verdict announcement on Raajje TV journalists scheduled for Tuesday

23 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Government to give a 3 billion Rufiyaa loan guarantee to Sun Shiyam

Government to give a 3 billion Rufiyaa loan guarantee to Sun Shiyam

15 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

On This Day

February 17
BML launches dollar ATM service in Addu
20251 Year Ago
business

BML launches dollar ATM service in Addu

Gov't will facilitate a favorable environment for scout activities in schools: VP
20242 Years Ago
local

Gov't will facilitate a favorable environment for scout activities in schools: VP

Agreement on visa-free travel to China takes effect
20233 Years Ago
local

Agreement on visa-free travel to China takes effect

V. Aarah case: Yameen requests to delay hearings until they can be livestreamed
20224 Years Ago
local

V. Aarah case: Yameen requests to delay hearings until they can be livestreamed

BML announces growing support for their Islamic Banking services
20215 Years Ago
business

BML announces growing support for their Islamic Banking services

Ex-President Yameen detained in Maafushi Prison
20197 Years Ago
local

Ex-President Yameen detained in Maafushi Prison

Journalist Hussain departs to SL for further treatment, despite police\'s attempt to block him from flying
20188 Years Ago
local

Journalist Hussain departs to SL for further treatment, despite police\'s attempt to block him from flying

ރާއްޖެކުޅިވަރުދުނިޔެވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދުރިޕޯޓުފޮޓޯވާހަކަސިއްހަތުތަފާތު ޚަބަރުލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
RaajjeMV
RaajjeTV
Raajje Sport
RaajjeTV Live
RaajjeTV PR
RaajjeMV
Raajje.mv

Copyright © 2010-2025 Raajje Television Pvt Ltd.

All rights reserved

ޕްރައިވެސީ ޕޮލިސީކިޔުންތެރިންގެ ހިޔާލު