Covid-19 related death

First Covid-19 related death confirmed in Maldives

  • Authorities on Wednesday revealed that an 83-year-old contact of a confirmed case had passed away
  • Had said they were awaiting test results
  • A total of 278 Covid-19 cases have been confirmed in Maldives

K. Male' 2020 Apr 30 | Thu 01:15 local 9,267

COVID-19 preparedness drill held in the capital - Edition.mv

The first Covid-19 related death has been confirmed in Maldives.

While authorities had on Wednesday revealed that an 83-year-old contact of a previously confirmed case had passed away, RaajjeMV understands that the deceased -a woman- tested positive for Covid-19.

Health Minister Abdulla Ameen has confirmed this at an emergency press conference held at around 1:45am on Thursday.

Noting that an individual that tested positive for Covid-19 has passed away, Ameen revealed that the deceased in Aminath Adam, 83.

He added that she is linked to Case 126; a 52-year-old Maldivian man who tested positive for the disease on April 24.

She was taken to the hospital following complaints of breathing difficulties on Wednesday evening, and the minister said that she was pronounced dead on arrival.

Her test results are to have come back after she passed away, despite samples being taken early morning on April 28 and being at high risk of being infected due to her age.

While this is the first Covid-19 related death confirmed in the Maldives, five others are currently hospitalized and three are at higher risk of complications.

Last updated at: 3 months ago | Reviewed by: Abdulla Naseer Ibrahim

Comment on Article

To share a news drop us an email to [email protected] or contact us at 3007773