Raajje.mv
Raajje.mv
  • ރާއްޖެ
  • ދުނިޔެ
  • ކުޅިވަރު
  • ވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދު
  • ސިއްހަތު
  • ރިޕޯޓު
  • ފިލްމް - މިޔުޒިކް
  • ތަފާތު ޚަބަރު
  • އިސްލާމް
  • ލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
localDepartment of Judicial Administration

No proof that Supreme Court ordered 2017's mass suspension of lawyers: DJA

10 ޖުލައި 2019 | ބުދަ 01:54

This was revealed at parliament's judiciary committee meeting on Tuesday, where the DJA members were questioned

އައިޝަތު ޝާނީ
Aishath Shaany | 10 ޖުލައި 2019 | ބުދަ 01:54
Members of the Department of Judicial Administration were presented to the parliament\'s judiciary committee on Tuesday

Members of the Department of Judicial Administration were presented to the parliament\'s judiciary committee on Tuesday

Over 50 lawyers were suspended without counseling with the Supreme Court.

Current Judical Administrator Dr. Abdulla Nazeer revealed this after being summoned to the parliament’s judiciary committee on Tuesday.

Noting that he has conducted an internal audit since being appointed to the post in November, Nazeer said that there is no evidence to show that the top court had ordered the mass suspension of lawyers.

54 lawyers- out of the 56 who had signed a petition calling to reform the judiciary -the other two were already under suspension- were suspended in September 2017, "for contempt of court". The DJA said that the lawyers were in violation of the Judicature Act, lawyers' pledge and Court regulations, by submitting the 'unlawful' document.

Despite not having an order from the Supreme Court in writing, Nazeer said that there is evidence that then-Judicial Administrator had forwarded the case to police seeking charges.

He added that these concerns have been shared with Supreme Court.

While Hassan Saeed had been the Judicial Administrator at the time of the controversial suspension on lawyers, which was condemned both by the local and international community, he was removed from the post after being arrested over a February 2018 Supreme Court ruling ordering the release of nine political prisoners. He was sentenced to four months and 24 days after being convicted of deliberately hiding from the police and obstructing law enforcement, and was released in November 2018 after completing his sentence.

Also at Tuesday’s judiciary committee meeting, chair and North-Maafannu constituency MP Imthiyaz Fahmy asked whether they were putting the blame on someone else.

Responding to this, DJA’s spokesperson Faisal Adam said that the administrator was not putting blame on anyone, rather stating that there is no proof of an order to suspend these lawyers.

Their suspensions were lifted only after they apologized to the DJA.

Popular

1

Reporting USD Rate Above or Below MVR 15.42 Prohibited; Black Market Reports Face MVR 500,000 Fine

2

Red Crescent celebrates 17 years by constructing its future in high-rise concrete

3

Cabinet decides to restrict accessibility of SIM cards for expatriates working in Maldives

4

Black market USD rates surge past MVR 22.85!

5

Charting a reckless course into middle eastern war zones

More from Raajje.mv

06 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

Scholars head to court over niqab issue

06 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
Scholars head to court over niqab issue
02 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

Court to reach a verdict in Fiyaz's case by the end of Feb

02 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
Court to reach a verdict in Fiyaz's case by the end of Feb
01 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

Court issues preliminary injunction halting Kaadehdhoo Airport agreement cancellation

01 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
Court issues preliminary injunction halting Kaadehdhoo Airport agreement cancellation
01 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

Court to take witness statements in Fiyaz's case on Thursday

01 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
Court to take witness statements in Fiyaz's case on Thursday
31 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Foreign bodies have no jurisdiction over Court rulings: President

31 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Foreign bodies have no jurisdiction over Court rulings: President
30 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

High Court rejects MDP case against EC

30 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
High Court rejects MDP case against EC
30 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Court to analyze video evidence against Wisam on Tuesday

30 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Court to analyze video evidence against Wisam on Tuesday
29 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Supreme Court had acted unjustly on Nazim: Azim

29 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Supreme Court had acted unjustly on Nazim: Azim
11 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Ibrahim funded the hit on Razeen, photo proof was sent by Bilaal

11 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Ibrahim funded the hit on Razeen, photo proof was sent by Bilaal
06 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Court rules not enough evidence to prove man forged signature on finance ministry check to get MVR 900,000

06 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Court rules not enough evidence to prove man forged signature on  finance ministry check to get MVR 900,000
ރާއްޖެދުނިޔެކުޅިވަރުވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދުސިއްހަތުރިޕޯޓުފިލްމް - މިޔުޒިކްތަފާތު ޚަބަރުއިސްލާމްލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
RaajjeMV
RaajjeTV
Raajje Sport
RaajjeTV Live
RaajjeTV PR
RaajjeMV
Raajje.mv

Copyright © 2010-2025 Raajje Television Pvt Ltd.

All rights reserved

ޕްރައިވެސީ ޕޮލިސީކިޔުންތެރިންގެ ހިޔާލުޓާމްސް އޮފްޔޫސް