Raajje.mv
Raajje.mv
  • ރާއްޖެ
  • ދުނިޔެ
  • ކުޅިވަރު
  • ވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދު
  • ސިއްހަތު
  • ރިޕޯޓު
  • ފިލްމް - މިޔުޒިކް
  • ތަފާތު ޚަބަރު
  • އިސްލާމް
  • ލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
localSafari assault case

Safari assault case: online newspaper accuses ex-AG of providing false information

23 ޖުލައި 2020 | ބުރާސްފަތި 10:41

The safari case emerged in late June

އައިޝަތު ޝާނީ
Aishath Shaany | 23 ޖުލައި 2020 | ބުރާސްފަތި 10:41
Azima Shakoor

Azima Shakoor

Former Attorney General, Azima Shakoor, has been accused of providing false information regarding the safari sexual assault case.

While a 27-year-old Kenyan woman was allegedly “groped” by two men while aboard a safari boat in late June, two local news outlets had published contrasting recounts of the victim. The first one, Mendhuru Online, claimed that the victim was raped while an article published on ‘Mihaaru’ denies that the situation had reached that far.

Mendhuru Online released a statement on Wednesday, claiming that its article was based on information provided by the former attorney general.

The news outlet claimed that Azima Shakoor had informed them of a rape case aboard a safari boat, adding that she seemed to have been speaking on behalf of the victim. While Mendhuru Online believes that it had spoken directly to the victim briefly, it said that Azima continued to recount the story after claiming that victim was having difficulties in doing so.

Noting that it has since learnt that the rape claim was false, Mendhuru Online said that its platform was used to start a political battle.

While Azima has denied the outlet's allegations, she revealed plans to pursue legal action against it.

Last week, police revealed that a separate investigation is ongoing against Mendhuru Online following the falsified news, and revealed that the news outlet was operating without registration.

While police also noted that the safari case was not lodged as a rape case, officers met the Kenyan woman at the jetty of capital city’s suburban extension Hulhumalé. While she is to have jumped off the safari boat when the two men approached her, out of fear of the situation escalating, the men are to have assisted her to shore later.

At least 11 people’s testimonies have been obtained in the investigation.

While police were also accused of political influence following the quick release of the two suspects, who reportedly have links to senior government officials, the institution denies this and said that its officers had acted accordingly as per the information provided by the victim.

Popular

1

Vice President’s Official Residence Costs Over MVR 300,000 Monthly

2

Puppet master and his absolute yes-men

3

Great savior complex over a faith already shielded by supreme law

4

Parliament accepts bill to end tax exemptions for unregistered businesses in Maldives

5

President's Office denies rumors of importing bread from Singapore for Mulee'aage

More from Raajje.mv

08 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

Leevaan, Wisam case filed for appeal in High Court

08 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
Leevaan, Wisam case filed for appeal in High Court
07 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

Court to hear Sheikh Imran's appeal case on Wednesday

07 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
Court to hear Sheikh Imran's appeal case on Wednesday
06 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

ACC reports 15 percent increase in filed cases

06 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
ACC reports 15 percent increase in filed cases
02 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

Court to reach a verdict in Fiyaz's case by the end of Feb

02 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
Court to reach a verdict in Fiyaz's case by the end of Feb
01 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

Court to take witness statements in Fiyaz's case on Thursday

01 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017
Court to take witness statements in Fiyaz's case on Thursday
30 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

High Court rejects MDP case against EC

30 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
High Court rejects MDP case against EC
24 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

State delays MDP case against EC

24 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
State delays MDP case against EC
23 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Work Is Underway To Complete Procedural Formalities Of Ex-President Nasheed’s Case Over President Yameen’s Detention: PG

23 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Work Is Underway To Complete Procedural Formalities Of Ex-President Nasheed’s Case Over President Yameen’s Detention: PG
10 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Hearing for Wisam's case cancelled, rescheduled to January 18

10 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Hearing for Wisam's case cancelled, rescheduled to January 18
09 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

Hearing for Wisam's case cancelled, rescheduled to January 18

09 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Hearing for Wisam's case cancelled, rescheduled  to January 18
ރާއްޖެދުނިޔެކުޅިވަރުވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދުސިއްހަތުރިޕޯޓުފިލްމް - މިޔުޒިކްތަފާތު ޚަބަރުއިސްލާމްލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
RaajjeMV
RaajjeTV
Raajje Sport
RaajjeTV Live
RaajjeTV PR
RaajjeMV
Raajje.mv

Copyright © 2010-2025 Raajje Television Pvt Ltd.

All rights reserved

ޕްރައިވެސީ ޕޮލިސީކިޔުންތެރިންގެ ހިޔާލުޓާމްސް އޮފްޔޫސް