Minister of Tourism Ali Waheed has stated that over 11,000 bookings have been cancelled due to the global threat of the coronavirus.
Speaking at a news conference held regarding preventive measures against the coronavirus, Minister of Tourism Ali Waheed revealed that 11،115 (eleven thousand, one-hundred and fifteen) bookings have been cancelled between January 26th and February 2nd.
Nevertheless, 24،759 (twenty four thousand, seven hundred and fifty nine) bookings were made within the same period, said the minister.
He further said that circulars regarding the coronavirus have been distributed to all resorts, adding that all expect three resorts were found to have appropriate procedures to deal with suspected cases and that the ministry is collaborating with the remaining three resorts to set up similar arrangements.
Additionally, he claimed that the government arranged accommodation for 16 Chinese tourists and eight Argentinian tourists who were stranded at the airport after direct flights to China had been halted. Their departure has also been arranged for Sunday, said the minister.
Highlighting that the country has enough masks for the entire population, the minister stated that additional shipments will arrive on various days of the next week. He also stated that the country is at the first stage of the global emergency.