Raajje.mv
Raajje.mv
  • ރާއްޖެ
  • ދުނިޔެ
  • ކުޅިވަރު
  • ވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދު
  • ސިއްހަތު
  • ރިޕޯޓު
  • ފިލްމް - މިޔުޒިކް
  • ތަފާތު ޚަބަރު
  • އިސްލާމް
  • ލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
local
Threats against RaajjeTV

PG Office appeals Wisam's acquittal

State levied obstruction charges against Wisam last year, over an arrest made while covering an opposition rally in March 2015

އައިޝަތު ޝާނީ
Aishath Shaany, Raajje.mv | 16 އެޕްރީލު 2017 | އާދީއްތަ 12:03
Wisam with his father

Wisam with his father

Prosecutor General’s (PG) Office has revealed that it has appealed Criminal Court’s not guilty verdict on RaajjeTV’s senior video journalist Mohamed Wisam.

Criminal Court had, on March 28, acquitted Wisam of obstruction charges.

Speaking to RaajjeMV, an official at the PG Office said that the ruling was appealed at the High Court on April 5. Previously the medial official at the PG Office said that is had not made a decision to appeal the ruling as it can only be done after ther officer receives the summary report of the court’s ruling.

State raised obstruction charges against Wisam on the 5th of April 2016, over an arrest made while covering an opposition rally on the 25th of March 2015.

Denying the charge, Wisam had submitted four witnesses on his defence, with the state presenting two, as well as video footage and a map of the area cordoned off by police on the night of his arrest.

At the sentencing hearing, presiding judge Ahmed Shakeel ruled that the chain of custody of video evidence submitted by the prosecutors cannot be verified, and that the video evidence put forth against Wisam failed to show the circumstances under which he was apprehended. The ruling further noted that as journalists were present at the scene, that the court cannot deem that Wisam had obstructed police duties.

RaajjeTV’s senior videographer, Zareer was arrested with Wisam, and charged with obstruction as well. While Zareer's sentencing hearing was held on February 27, the Court found him guilty of obstruction, and sentenced him to pay a fine of MVR 3,000.

Criminal Court found Wisam guilty of a separate obstruction charge, on January 24, along with journalist Leevaan Ali Nasir, over an arrest made while covering a bomb scare in the capital Male' City in November 2015. They were both fined MVR 28,800 each.

They were found guilty of the charges on December 19, 2016. Prosecutors had requested the Court to sentence both journalists to four months and 24 days in jail, the maximum punishment.

The two were arrested with RaajjeTV’s COO Hussain Fiyaz Moosa, who was charged with “touching an officer without consent” and is awaiting sentencing.

Comments

Related Articles

Individual arrested after shattering window at President’s Office

Individual arrested after shattering window at President’s Office

19 މާރިޗު 2017
Met Office issues yellow alert

Met Office issues yellow alert

15 މާރިޗު 2017
Police launches investigation into Bathool's accusation reg. an officer

Police launches investigation into Bathool's accusation reg. an officer

05 މާރިޗު 2017
PPM says they will pass amendment restricting Officers from voting

PPM says they will pass amendment restricting Officers from voting

02 މާރިޗު 2017
Military officers must be able to vote: Ex-President Nasheed

Military officers must be able to vote: Ex-President Nasheed

01 މާރިޗު 2017

On This Day

May 23
Nearly 100,000 tourists welcomed so far in May
20251 Year Ago
local

Nearly 100,000 tourists welcomed so far in May

Nearly 90,000 tourists welcomed so far in May
20242 Years Ago
local

Nearly 90,000 tourists welcomed so far in May

Wild Card entry into Ooredoo PUBG Championship of MVR100,000, closes at midnight
20233 Years Ago
business

Wild Card entry into Ooredoo PUBG Championship of MVR100,000, closes at midnight

Man arrested for attempted assault inside Jamaluddin School
20224 Years Ago
local

Man arrested for attempted assault inside Jamaluddin School

Maldives reports 61st Covid-19 death in ongoing month of May
20215 Years Ago
local

Maldives reports 61st Covid-19 death in ongoing month of May

PPM ‘concerned’ over Maldives’ vote on Chagos Islands dispute
20197 Years Ago
local

PPM ‘concerned’ over Maldives’ vote on Chagos Islands dispute

Faisa Mobile app paves way for convenient Zakat payments
20188 Years Ago
business

Faisa Mobile app paves way for convenient Zakat payments

ރާއްޖެކުޅިވަރުދުނިޔެވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދުރިޕޯޓުފޮޓޯވާހަކަސިއްހަތުތަފާތު ޚަބަރުލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
RaajjeMV
RaajjeTV
Raajje Sport
RaajjeTV Live
RaajjeTV PR
RaajjeMV
Raajje.mv

Copyright © 2010-2025 Raajje Television Pvt Ltd.

All rights reserved

ޕްރައިވެސީ ޕޮލިސީކިޔުންތެރިންގެ ހިޔާލު