Raajje.mv
Raajje.mv
  • ރާއްޖެ
  • ދުނިޔެ
  • ކުޅިވަރު
  • ވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދު
  • ސިއްހަތު
  • ރިޕޯޓު
  • ފިލްމް - މިޔުޒިކް
  • ތަފާތު ޚަބަރު
  • އިސްލާމް
  • ލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
local
H1N1 Outbreak

Deaths reported are of people who contracted flu earlier, cases declining: WHO

WHO says that reported death due to H1N1 are of those who had contracted flu earlier in the month, especially in the week of March 13

އައިޝަތު ޝާނީ
Aishath Shaany, Raajje.mv | 29 މާރިޗު 2017 | ބުދަ 17:25
People queue up to receive flu vaccine, WHO's first batch of vaccines is to arrive later this week

People queue up to receive flu vaccine, WHO's first batch of vaccines is to arrive later this week

World Health Organization (WHO) has said that the deaths due to H1N1 were of people who had contracted the flu earlier in the month, adding that flu cases have been declining in the Maldives.

Six flu patients have succumbed to the disease, with 222 out of 619 patients having tested positive. 20 patients are currently admitted at the health centres.

In a statement issued on Wednesday, WHO Maldives said that "the unfortunate deaths due to the flu, reported recently, were of people who contracted flu earlier in the month, especially in the week of March 13 when the seasonal flu peaked”.

However, it noted that the number of flu cases have been declining in the country as well.

“The number of cases and those with severe acute respiratory infections requiring hospital admission have been declining in the last two week following stepped up efforts by the Ministry of Health”, the statement reads.

WHO Maldives noted that it has been supporting the Ministry, to take “appropriate measures for early detection and treatment of flu, and prevention of its spread with good infection control measures in health centres and enhanced awareness among public”.

The statement highlighted that the government is offering flu vaccine ‘to the most vulnerable’, including the elderly, people who have undergone organ transplant or other serious surgeries, those with compromised immunity, chronic ailment, health workers and children between six months to six years.

WHO had, on March 23, announced its decision to provide 30,000 flu vaccines, in order to support the government’s efforts. In Wednesday’s statement, WHO said that the first batch of 1,500 vaccines is to arrive later this week.

READ MORE: WHO to secure 30,000 more doses of flu vaccine

Noting that “all efforts must continue to prevent, detect early and ensure appropriate treatment”, WHO said that it will continue to closely monitor the situation in Maldives.

While the first case was reported in January, spreading rapidly throughout February and March, at a press conference held on Moarch 13, Health Protection Agency (HPA) had said that despite some cases being reported, there was no cause for concern. Less than 12 hours after confirming the spread of the virus across the country, authorities revealed that the it was increasing rapidly, declaring national alert level at Phase Three.

Comments

Related Articles

ADK flu clinic to open in Sosunge

ADK flu clinic to open in Sosunge

15 މާރިޗު 2017
Mobile flu clinic to be opened in Thaajudheen School

Mobile flu clinic to be opened in Thaajudheen School

14 މާރިޗު 2017
Maldivian child tested negative for swine flu, says Asiri Hospitals

Maldivian child tested negative for swine flu, says Asiri Hospitals

14 މާރިޗު 2017
Low stocks of influenza vaccine: Health Ministry

Low stocks of influenza vaccine: Health Ministry

14 މާރިޗު 2017
President held meeting to influence terror charges against Ex-PG

President held meeting to influence terror charges against Ex-PG

27 ފެބުރުއަރީ 2017

On This Day

February 16
Over 100,000 tourists welcomed for second month of 2025
20251 Year Ago
local

Over 100,000 tourists welcomed for second month of 2025

MVR 50,000 promised through new Lui loan, BML Islamic Personal Financing promotion
20242 Years Ago
business

MVR 50,000 promised through new Lui loan, BML Islamic Personal Financing promotion

1,353g of drugs extracted from foreigner who smuggled drugs into Maldives
20233 Years Ago
local

1,353g of drugs extracted from foreigner who smuggled drugs into Maldives

More than 112,000 booster doses administered against Covid-19
20224 Years Ago
local

More than 112,000 booster doses administered against Covid-19

Bangladeshi caught leaving Maldives with over MVR one million in cash
20215 Years Ago
local

Bangladeshi caught leaving Maldives with over MVR one million in cash

Ibrahim Ahmed Nasir appointed head of Financial Intelligence Unit
20197 Years Ago
local

Ibrahim Ahmed Nasir appointed head of Financial Intelligence Unit

RaajjeTV journalist Hussain \'near unconscious\' when brought to police HQ: witness
20188 Years Ago
local

RaajjeTV journalist Hussain \'near unconscious\' when brought to police HQ: witness

ރާއްޖެކުޅިވަރުދުނިޔެވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދުރިޕޯޓުފޮޓޯވާހަކަސިއްހަތުތަފާތު ޚަބަރުލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
RaajjeMV
RaajjeTV
Raajje Sport
RaajjeTV Live
RaajjeTV PR
RaajjeMV
Raajje.mv

Copyright © 2010-2025 Raajje Television Pvt Ltd.

All rights reserved

ޕްރައިވެސީ ޕޮލިސީކިޔުންތެރިންގެ ހިޔާލު