Officials at the Maldives Inland Revenue Authority (MIRA) are to launch an awareness campaign in a number of islands in the outlying atolls.
MIRA said that their tax officers will be available to take any questions that are posed to them about how taxes are levied, and other factors that have to do with taxation.
The tax authority has released a schedule of islands that its officials are to visit.
- 24th- 26th February: Fiyoari of Gaafu Dhaalu Atoll
- 24th- 26th February: Nellaidhoo in Haa Dhaalu Atoll
- 25th – 27th February: Hulhumeedhoo in Shaviyani Atoll
- 26th – 28th February: Uligamu in Haa Alifu Atoll
- 27th – 28th February: Kurimbi in Haa Dhaalu Atoll
- 1st – 2nd March: Ihavandhoo in Haa Alifu Atoll
MIRA has embarked on similar tours before, aimed especially at making members of the public and business community aware of taxation laws, and procedures pertaining to them.
MIRA's income in the last year accounted for a total of MVR 2.2 billion of the state's profits.