Raajje.mv
Raajje.mv
  • ރާއްޖެ
  • ދުނިޔެ
  • ކުޅިވަރު
  • ވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދު
  • ސިއްހަތު
  • ރިޕޯޓު
  • ފިލްމް - މިޔުޒިކް
  • ތަފާތު ޚަބަރު
  • ލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
local
Trials against opposition

Have not made a decision on revoking charges against Riyaz: PG Office

Deferred prosecution will be granted if admit to crime, express regret

ރުޝްދާ ރަޝީދު
Rushdha Rasheed, Raajje.mv | 26 މެއި 2017 | ހުކުރު 17:49
Abdullah Riyaz in a previous hearing

Abdullah Riyaz in a previous hearing

Prosecutor General (PG) Office has said the office is yet to arrive at a decision on revoking the obstruction charges filed against Kimbidhoo Constituency Parliament Member Abdullah Riyaz.

PG Office media official said that Riyaz had requested to revoke the charges under the principle of an additional chance. He said the request was being reviewed at the Committee.

The last hearings of the case was held on May 16th, during which summary charges were read. In the next hearing the verdict will be announced.

During the last hearings, Riyaz’s lawyer Ali Zahir said they had filed for deferred prosecution.

While the judges bench had then asked the prosecution to confirm the application within a period of two days, if a defendant applied for deferred prosecution in a case nearing conclusion, then the sentencing shall be delayed. If the court refuses to delay sentencing, then the PG will withdraw the case.

The court order that Riyaz had allegedly violated gives authority to officers to check all interactions made through the mobile phone. His defence had stated that this does not customary include the passcode, and nor was it specified in the order.

Therefore, Zahir made the statement that Riyaz had unwittingly refused to give the passcode initially, and that he provided officers with passcodes later on. Therefore, stating that Riyaz is highly eligible for deferred prosecution.

At a previous hearing, the defence had presented Ameer Shah, Riyaz’s nephew, who said he is tasked with changing settings for the phone, installing and updating applications, and repair work. He had testified that Riyaz ‘almost never’ switches off his phone and that he uses fingerprint access to it and thus never needed a passcode.

Shah further said that he usually sets the passcode for Riyaz’s phone, and that the parliamentarian hardly ever knows the code himself.

On the night of 27th March, Riyaz had been walking down Maaveyo Magu, of which the first half is not very well-lit, when two men – not in uniform – had showed him a warrant and asked him to handover his mobile phone.

Riyaz refused on the grounds that the street was too dark for him to read the supposed warrant, and that he had been attacked on that very road before and so was hesitant to indulge their request.

The parliamentarian, who had served as police commissioner himself, said that the officers had forcefully taken his phone from him. He had then given them three different passcodes, which were all incorrect. Riyaz’ phone is reportedly evidence in an investigation into allegations that opposition parliamentarians had threatened and bribed pro-government MPs.

Comments

Related Articles

Nasheed meets with German Amb, raises concern over Maldives' decision

Nasheed meets with German Amb, raises concern over Maldives' decision

31 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
High Court rejects MDP case against EC

High Court rejects MDP case against EC

30 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Do not accept UN decision on Nazim: Government

Do not accept UN decision on Nazim: Government

30 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Court to analyze video evidence against Wisam on Tuesday

Court to analyze video evidence against Wisam on Tuesday

30 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017
Govt has to respect UN decisions as a member nation: Maumoon faction

Govt has to respect UN decisions as a member nation: Maumoon faction

28 ޖެނުއަރީ 2017

On This Day

February 15
MPS seeks public help to locate suspect who robbed people fraudulently
20251 Year Ago
local

MPS seeks public help to locate suspect who robbed people fraudulently

Husnu Al Suood appointed as a JSC member
20242 Years Ago
local

Husnu Al Suood appointed as a JSC member

Gov’t announces loan scheme for 720 students
20233 Years Ago
local

Gov’t announces loan scheme for 720 students

India donates medical equipment to Senahiya
20224 Years Ago
local

India donates medical equipment to Senahiya

Search for missing tourist continues
20215 Years Ago
local

Search for missing tourist continues

Ex-MP Ahmed Moosa decides to run as independent
20197 Years Ago
local

Ex-MP Ahmed Moosa decides to run as independent

Protests erupt in various parts of Maldives
20188 Years Ago
local

Protests erupt in various parts of Maldives

ރާއްޖެކުޅިވަރުދުނިޔެވިޔަފާރި - އިގްތިސާދުރިޕޯޓުފޮޓޯވާހަކަސިއްހަތުތަފާތު ޚަބަރުލައިފް ސްޓައިލް
RaajjeMV
RaajjeTV
Raajje Sport
RaajjeTV Live
RaajjeTV PR
RaajjeMV
Raajje.mv

Copyright © 2010-2025 Raajje Television Pvt Ltd.

All rights reserved

ޕްރައިވެސީ ޕޮލިސީކިޔުންތެރިންގެ ހިޔާލު