President Dr. Mohamed Muizzu has said that work on approximately 15 mosques currently under construction across the Maldives will be completed before the upcoming fasting month of Ramadan.
Taking to social media platform ‘X’, the president made the announcement and congratulated residents of Dhidhdhoo island of Haa Alif atoll, on the inauguration of the Islamic Center opened on the island last Friday. The center includes an Islamic library and a branch of the National Centre for the Holy Quran.
Shedding light on the government’s focus on completing ongoing projects, he said the goal is to finalize many works ahead of the fasting month. Among the mosques targeted for completion is one in Hulhumalé Phase II. He also said practical work to build an additional mosque in Hulhumalé Phase II will begin in December, citing the difficulties caused by the shortage of permanent mosques in the area.
He added that the government’s broader aim in developing mosques and Islamic centers across the country is to strengthen Islamic unity and promote Islamic culture.
However, the mosques being inaugurated by the current administration are projects contracted during former President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih’s government. The Islamic Center in Dhidhdhoo, opened last Friday, was also initiated under the previous administration.
Although no new projects from the current government have entered the practical stage, mosques remain scarce in Hulhumalé Phase II, and construction of ongoing mosque projects is progressing very slowly.
Due to the lack of practical progress, residents of Hulhumalé Phase II raised concerns during last year’s Ramadan as well.