K. Male' | Aishath Shaany | 03-May-2017 | Wednesday 19:57 | Shaaknee | Local | 1,388
Maldives Police Service (MPS) has said that they have made major progress in the investigation into the murder of blogger Yameen Rasheed, adding that it is seeking international assistance in the investigation.
MPS released a statement on Wednesday, after it was reported that a second individual had been arrested in relation to the murder.
Confirming the two arrests, police, in the statement, said that two individuals suspected to be involved in the attack have been taken into custody, and that there has been major progress in the investigation.
“Through this arrest and several leads uncovered by the investigation team, the Maldives Police Service is confident that the investigation into this case can be concluded successfully in the coming days,'' reads the statement.
Police said that all the evidence in Yameen Rasheed’s murder case have been sent to various forensic laboratories in Europe and Asia for further investigation.
“As the investigation continues, work being carried out by some individuals to divert focus of investigation will allow the culprits to remain in hiding”, said police.
One of the most prominent bloggers in the country; Yameen Rasheed was stabbed to death in the early hours on April 23. Two days later, on April 25, deputy police commissioner Abdulla Nawaz revealed that they had identified those responsible for the attacks, even releasing screen captures of the suspects, possibly taken from CCTV footage, from both inside and outside Maafannu Spatula, Yameen’s residence, where he was attacked.
However, on April 30, police refuted their previous claim, saying that they have not been able to identify the attackers as they “had been wearing disguises”.
On May 1, 25-year-old Mohamed Dhifran, native to Gaafu Dhaalu Gaddhoo, was arrested in relation to Yameen’s murder, and given a 15-day remand. A second suspect was arrested on Wednesday.
Yameen’s family have also appealed to enlist experienced international investigators in the investigation into their son’s death, especially as MPS had failed to protect his life, despite him reporting the multiple death threats sent to him. Police on Tuesday, rejected the 811 letters submitted by Yameen's family and friends, asking for a speedy and transparent investigation into his murder. Yameen's father, Hussain Rasheed, filed a case at the Civil Court on Wednesday, to prove police negligence in Yameen's murder case.
|1||Government refutes scathing EU electoral mission report|
|2||Rescue officers locate body of missing speed boat captain|
|3||Dhaalu Atoll Council deputy to sign on with MDP|
|4||Male' City council to meet public on Wednesday|
|5||Dhaalu Atoll Council deputy signs on with MDP|
|6||Chief Justice Saeed, Justice Hameed’s hearing on Sunday|
|7||Conrad Maldives to open world's first underwater villa in November|
|8||Court schedules hearing for MP Mahloof for speaking out on plight of prisoners|