K. Male' | Shan Anees | 27-March-2017 | Monday 16:19 | twitter | Local | 748
The Criminal Court has barred reporters from Mihaaru, launched by former employees of the now defunct Haveeru Daily – Maldives’ oldest newspaper, from entering proceedings.
The court revealed this on Monday by keeping a reporter with the paper from entering a hearing.
The paper told RaajjeMV that the court had not provided an official reason for this decision, nor had its media official answered phone calls.
Neither the Depart of Judicial Administration (DJA) nor the court had answered calls from RaajjeMV at the time publishing either.
The police had last week summoned Mihaaru’s editor, Ismail Naseer, over two stories that were critical of the local justice system.
Mihaaru had then said that the probe followed complaints from the DJA.
The Criminal Court has recently faced pressure for a circular it released warning members of the press to refrain from reportage that defames the court and ‘encourages terrorism’. The court had threatened legal action against any journalist or media organization that does so.
|1||MP Riyaz says terror charges raised to keep him out of politics|
|2||Manik mocks Naeemaatha: is it because she is a senior or a woman?|
|3||Terrorism tiral against ex-President's son-in-law Nadeem starts tomorrow|
|4||Two nominations for Maldives at World Spa Awards|
|5||Terrorism case against Riyaz and Areef: hearings scheduled for tomorrow|