K. Male' | Rushdha Rasheed | 10-March-2017 | Friday 15:01 | rushdhar | Local | 1,938
The Government of Saudi Arabia has denied rumors of investments and mega-projects in the Maldives.
A statement released by Saudi Embassy in the Maldives, noted that there have been many media reports that the Government of Saudi Arabia was planning to purchase an atoll in the Maldives, adding that they did not have any plans to invest in any such mega investments. The statement categorically denied that there was any planned sale of an atoll or an island.
Saudi Embassy noted that no statement on the issue had been sought from the Embassy. It added that this was deeply concerning.
Whilst the Embassy had issued this statement, President Abdullah Yameen had announced a US$ 10 billion project for Faafu Atoll by the Saudi Government. Housing Minister Dr. Mohamed Muizz had also spoke about the project. He said that with the Faafu atoll project, citizens can be relocated to one area, ushering in modern services.
Public outrage had risen over the proposed sale of Faafu Atoll to the Saudi royal family, with the opposition calling on the Government to cease any and all plans for a sale.
|1||MP Riyaz says terror charges raised to keep him out of politics|
|2||Manik mocks Naeemaatha: is it because she is a senior or a woman?|
|3||Terrorism tiral against ex-President's son-in-law Nadeem starts tomorrow|
|4||Two nominations for Maldives at World Spa Awards|
|5||Terrorism case against Riyaz and Areef: hearings scheduled for tomorrow|