President Yameen maintains silence over attack on opposition candidate

  • The President’s Office has yet to comment on the matter
  • The police have said that they are investigating it
  • MP Solih and his campaign team were attacked twice in Hulhumalé

K. Male' | Shan Anees | 11-July-2018 | Wednesday 13:34 | twitter | Local | 750

President Abdulla Yameen speaking in Mulah island of Meemu atoll -- Photo by: Presidents Office

Incumbent President Abdulla Yameen has yet to comment on Tuesday’s attacks on opposition presidential candidate, MP Ibrahim Mohamed Solih.

While the President’s Office has yet to comment on the matter and the police have said that they are investigating it, President Yameen had spoken at length in Kolhufushi island on Tuesday.

Yameen’s speech, which went for over half-a-hour, did not mention the attacks while he had keenly addressed ongoing matters in the Maldivian political and social spheres.

In his address, President Yameen had spoken about international scrutiny of his government and of ongoing and completed development projects.

While the police have said that they are investigating the matter, they were unable to apprehend the culprits while officers were on scene and photographs depicting their faces are being circulated.

MP Solih and his campaign team were attacked by two men as they arrived in Hulhumalé on Tuesday for their ‘door-to-door’ activities. They were attacked again while leaving a residential flat with used engine oil.

While his body guards and members of the campaign team had managed to keep him from harm, journalists covering the event had been victim.

Home Minister Azleen Ahmed, along with fellow parties in the opposition had condemned the attack. The Attorney General’s Office also released a statement on Wednesday calling on relevant authorities to ensure equal campaigning rights for all parties.



Want to share a story with raajje.mv? email us at [email protected] or call (+960) 9110099

MOST RECENT


COMMENT